I’m back with some more tips and tricks to help you win in the San Diego real estate market. Whether you’re thinking of selling your home soon or just looking to increase its value, there are a number of home repairs that you definitely should not put off when they are needed. Here are nine of them to keep an eye on:
1. Caulking around areas where there may be exposed water. This includes bathrooms, kitchens, windows, and anywhere else where water can penetrate. We had a home on the market that didn’t pay attention to this and it ended up costing the owners $10,000 to fix the kitchen when it flooded. It’s much easier to buy a $10 caulking gun at the hardware store.
2. Cleaning your dryer vent. So many people forget to do this. You should have it cleaned at least once a year to prevent a fire hazard.
3. Roof repairs. With sun and water constantly hitting our roofs in San Diego, they can get eaten up pretty quickly. Any time you find a roof leak or imperfection, call a roofer. It’s better to spend a few hundred now than a few thousand later.
4. Chimney sweep. For a few hundred bucks, there are plenty of companies out there that will come out and do a full sweep of all your chimneys to further reduce fire hazards.
5. Change your HVAC filters. When people don’t change their filters for months or even years, they get clogged and bog down the system. That can cause it to burn out. Get these filters changed often.
6. Pest problems. Whether it’s termites, rodents, or other pests, you want to handle any pest problems very early on. It can get very expensive if you don’t.
7. Fix any plumbing leaks as soon as you find them. This is one of the more costly repairs that we see. A simple leaky pipe can cause major damage if not handled properly.
8. Peeling paint. If you see any chipped, cracked, or peeling paint, throw a fresh coat on top.
9. Drainage problems. We see this a lot in homes with plants or sprinklers near the house. The stucco next to the house tends to get eaten away quite quickly. If that’s the case for you, it’s time to change to a drip system to make your home ready for the next time we get a big winter rain.
These are just a few things that you should stay on top of as a homeowner, whether you’re thinking of selling soon or not. If you are and you need any assistance from us, we’d be happy to help. Just give us a call or send us an email today.